Part 1: 3 Terrific Baseball Hitting Instruction Learning Commandments

Unfortunately, this baseball hitting instruction piece is NOT going to teach you the makings of an excellent swing...you can get that from the Smart Hitting Tips tab on the above navigation bar.

What you'll get is a play on one of my favorite books titled, "The Art Of Learning: an inner journey to optimal performance," by Josh Waitzkin (the boy, man now, the movie Searching for Bobby Fischer was about), as it pertains to the baseball swing. If you're an over-achieving parent, coach, or player, then I'd highly recommend you read it.

This article will go over 20% of the key areas to optimizing the learning process for baseball hitting instruction, leading to 80% of swing success. So, in other words, you'll learn how to knock down the baseball swing learning curve and decrease brain download time.

You'll get the following second to none information in two parts...

The 5 SUPER learning points (We'll cover the first three in Part 1, and the other two we'll reveal in Part 2), here they are:

  1. The low information diet,
  2. Making small circles,
  3. Investment in loss,
  4. Using adversity, and
  5. Slowing down time.

Let's jump right in...

1. The Low Info Diet

When we talk about baseball hitting instruction, we need to address a low information diet. I made the mistake, early on, of listening to too many different sources: reading too many books on hitting, and watching too many videos. Most of what I viewed was white noise and a waste of money.

I remember wasting an hour in a half at Barnes & Noble looking for "The Book" that was going to magically turn me into a home run hitter. It doesn't exist, not by magic anyway. The right information in addition to hard work, now we're talking, NO child turned home run hitting man overnight here!

20% are good sources, the other 80% are regurgitated information from the ones who truly know how to teach hitting. Here are a few of my personal favorites, and keep in mind, each have their own strengths and weaknesses:

  • Jim Lefebvre (The Making Of A Hitter),
  • Dusty Baker (You Can Teach Hitting),
  • Ted Williams (The Science Of Hitting), and
  • Rod Delmonico (Hit & Run Baseball)

So, guard your eyes and ears when it comes to baseball hitting instruction. Shall we move on...

2. Make Small Circles

The next four points (two of them coming in Part 2) come from The Art Of Learning and how I have interpreted them...

Making small circles is dissecting the swing down into digestible parts, mastering, then building upon it.

For instance, if you're working on your weight shift to the back leg, don't practice by executing the whole swing, really focus, and feel the difference in shifting your weight in different ways to the back leg. Try shifting it over the back big toe, beyond the back toe, and to the inside of the back toe.

What does your back big toe feel like? The groin of yourback leg? The big muscles in your legs?? Feel everything while breaking apart the movement...you have to know your body and how it feels or else you'll have a hard time making adjustments when the game speeds up.

3. Investment in Loss

Sometimes you have to take 1 step back before you can take 2 forward. Investment in loss is facing a pitcher at practice you have a hard time hitting, over and over again until you figure him out.

Or, if you're in an 0 for 30 slump, regressing to a more simple practice mode, like hitting off a tee or throwing the ball up and hitting it by yourself in a cage. This concept means swallowing precious pride to get results.

Baseball is difficult, so stay humble, and sometimes we have to lose in order to really win, or you'll drive yourself to the loony bin (hey, that rhymes=-).

The turning point for me was when I had my head in all those books teaching me how to hit, I finally eliminated the extra noise, went on my own, and swung the bat with what felt right, NOT what some book said.

The Game rewards you for taking risks and throwing the unnecessary extra baseball hitting instruction crutch away.

Now we have the first three vital rules to lessening the learning curve to a masterful swing, let's see how to use adversity to our advantage, and learn how to slow down time with Part 2: Secrets to Dominating Complicated Hitting Instructions

Also, check out these invaluable baseball hitting instruction articles outlining the mental approach to hitting, and How To reduce the learning curve tremendously in tackling a new skill set...

Return from Baseball Hitting Instruction back to the Homepage